Today’s mobile devices and cell phones are as powerful as our PC or laptop. A good question to ask yourself is, “Am I as careful with internet and device security with my cell phone as I am with my PC or laptop? Here are some suggestions from Stay Safe Online:
- Make sure that you keep your security software current including updating to the latest web browsers and operating systems.
- Make sure that you have protected any device that connects to the internet.
- Secure your phone using a strong passcode.
- Only give your mobile number to people you know and trust and never give away somebody else’s number without permission.
- Learn how to disable the geotagging feature on your phone at http://icanstalku.com/how.php#disable
- Limit the type of business you conduct and adjust the security settings on your device when your are connected to Wi-Fi hot-spots.
- When banking and shopping, check to be sure the site is security enabled. You can do this by looking for the “https://” or “shttp://”, in the url address bar. This means the site takes extra measures to help secure your information.
- If you get a text, call or email that you are unsure about, don’t respond. Requests for personal information and other scams are on the rise.